Tuesday, July 1, 2008

what a day...

Whew. I just got 9:30 p.m. I've been up since 4:00 a.m. I have no idea why I'm writing a post on here instead of getting ready for bed. But, I am.

Let's start with how the night before my first day went. I didn't get out of orientation until about 2 p.m. I had decided to skip lunch so that I could finish up earlier and get home. On the way home, I planned on stopping to get gas. My gauge was low, but the light hadn't come on yet. I'm about 3 miles from my house and my car stalls out! So, I had to walk a mile in heels and dress clothes, about to pass out from hypoglycemia, to buy a gas can and get gas. Then, walk back to my car, struggle with filling up the tank (with a whole 2 gallons of gas!) and then drive back to the gas station! My gas light still never came on.

Of course I had to take advantage of this wonderful photo opp.

Fast forward to this morning. As soon as I finished my post, I gathered my doctorly things and hopped in the car. In case you don't know me, I am chronically punctual...almost to a flaw. So, you know I was getting in the car at 5:11 a.m. for the 20 minute drive to work when I wasn't supposed to be there until 6. Of course things couldn't go smoothly.... my car was dead. I mean, dead dead. Like, the engine didn't even think about turning over. What a way to start off my first day of work! Luckily the other intern on my team lives about 15 minutes away and happened to be leaving her house as early as I was. So, she swung by and picked me up. My car being dead wouldn't have been quite as tragic if a) Heath wasn't in Chicago and b) this wasn't the one time he actually drove himself to the airport. So, when I finally finished my incredibly long day today, I had to have my intern friend drive me to the airport to get Heath's truck. Ugh.

As far as my actual first day of work, I loved it! I busted my butt, I almost cried, I was in way over my head and I loved every minute of it! I don't think I sat down for more than 5 minutes today. I wrote so much my hand almost fell off. And, we had a Code Blue at about 7:00 tonight. I'm on the inpatient wards. Rarely do regular pediatric patients code, but of course we had one on my first day! So, about an hour before I was supposed to get off, we hear "beep beep beep CODE BLUE, CODE BLUE". My heart was pounding and I took off running down the halls. Note to self: don't wear slippery heels in the hospital for the fact that you could have to run down the halls/stairs to code a kiddo. Luckily there were about 40 people in the room who all knew way more about running a code than I did. But, it was an interesting way to end the day. I don't think I'll ever forget my first code. I felt horrible for the mom and dad. They were a younger couple and the baby was only about a month old. I just wanted to run over and hug them. Say a prayer for them and the little guy tonight...I knew he made it out okay, but got transferred to the PICU.

I feel so sorry for my poor pups. They've been alone all day. I ran right in the door and took them for a quick walk. I'm sure I'll have a hard time sleeping tonight because they'll be ready to play.

And, I forgot to take a picture of my first day of work. Boo :(

More adventures in interning to come.


mrs.leah.maria said...

I knew you wouldn't be able to walk away!

Great photo op, terrible situation! The shoes look great though. :)

Congrats on making it through the first day!!! It means virtually nothing, I'm sure, but I'm proud of you!

Prayers will be said.

coco le'shea said...

i'm so glad there is blogging...cant wait to hear more about your adventures...if you get a spare moment give me a call, love you!

The Bullard's said...

you should start a show called erin's anatomy for all these dramatic tales. I would watch it. Love you and I hope our phone tag ends soon.

Kristal said...

Love that you took a picture. That's a sign of a true blogger.

And I'm glad to hear you loved the first day! I can't wait for more stories.

Jeremy and Mindy said...

Your going to be a great dr. Sorry you had to walk so far, that sucks, especially in this dreadful heat. Things will get better and I can't wait for more stories from the life of Dr. Erin =)

kari said...

I'm glad that you loved it! I can't wait to hear more stories.

etxwife said...

Whew! Sounds like an action packed first day! What is a code blue?

Sea Squared said...

Wow what a first day! I bet you looked adorable walking down the streets in heels and a gas can! I can't wait to hear more stories :)

Rachel said...

Hey! I am so glad to hear your day was exciting (though scary!) I can't believe your car died though... what a total bummer :-( AND running out of gas?

I am going back to MN in two weeks and we are worried about leaving Charlie home alone for Joey's whole shifts (12 hour shifts=14 hours away!) but luckily he has a pretty strong bladder!