Tuesday, May 12, 2009

weekend recap.

Things are busy. No cute pics in this post. I'm stuck in the PICU on call again. Obviously the last place I want to be right now.

So, how is life with J?

Words cannot describe. I wasn't kidding when I said we were head over heels for the little man already. I'll post more on that later.

Let's recap, shall we? (Note: this may be a tad's more for my memory than anything. Bear with me.)

Friday: Took J home after a long night in the PICU. While I normally go home and sleep 6-8 hours after a call - that wasn't an option. Luckily the excitement had given me a natural energy boost so I was high on life for the day. J promptly filled his diaper with some nastiness upon arrival to his new home. I changed him on the kitchen floor. Weird, but for some reason that seemed like a reasonable place to do it. The day went well. He slept mostly. I complained a little that he was kind of boring and I wished I could take him to the zoo or for a walk. Apparently you don't do that with 5 day old babes. My mom (who was a life.saver over the weekend) was at the house to help out withing an hour of us getting home. Then, Heath came home and sat on the couch with him in his arms for about 6 hours. No lie.

The night was long. Long, long long. I ended up with about 5 hours of sleep in 48 hours. I felt and looked post-partum (but I still fit into my pre-baby jeans, yay! ;) ) Mom, Heath and I did shifts and I think J was up most of the night. At one point I was so tired I could barely stand and I thrust him onto my sleeping mother saying "I don't know what else to do with him!!!!" in a shrill, hysterical voice.

Saturday: My dad couldn't stay away after all the gushing about how sweet and cuddly J was, so he came up to join us. Against my better judgement (I am a pediatrician ya know...) we took J out to BRU and then to a Mexican restaraunt for lunch. The little guy didn't make a peep. And, he luckily didn't catch the bird flu either!

Saturday night was much smoother. J actually slept for an extended period of time and was a little easier to put down in his crib.

Sunday (my first Mother's Day!!!): The Corbin clan (I call them this because there are a TON of them! 8 kiddos, 2 on the way, and 8 adults) all came to visit. I am so blessed that they have been so supportive and are so happy for us. We just took it easy (as easy as you can with 8 kids running amuck) and ordered pizza. They left around 4 and Heath and I spent the rest of the evening staring at, kissing on and cuddling J. I'm not kidding - I'm pretty sure we avoided even getting up to pee because it would mean putting him down.

Unfortunately, I had to get up bright and early to head back to work Monday morning. My amazing husband took the 9pm - 4am shift, which means the poor man got no sleep, while I got my beauty rest. I woke up at 4, fed and changed J and got ready for work.

So, Heath has gotten to play Mr. Mom for the last two days. A job that he quickly found out is not one he wants to ever take on full time - even though he's a natural at it.

Today was J's newborn visit. He's weighing in at a whopping 6.1kg (OOPS, I mean lbs. We use the crazy metric system around here..), which isn't quite back up to birth weight. He'll be headed back to clinic next week for a weight check.

In other news, I decided to take some time off work. I originally wasn't going to. My reasoning being that since this is a fostering situation, I can't really expect to take time off each time we foster. But, things have been hectic with my parents trying to take time off to help. So, after Sunday, I'll be off until June 1st. It's not long, but I'm so glad I'll get to spend 2 whole weeks at home with little man. Then my friend Sarah will be watching him for 2 weeks until he goes to day care.

I've been amazed at how quickly our families have accepted J as their own. My parents were apprehensive (mainly concerned that Heath and I would get hurt through this process) but little man has them wrapped around his long, skinny fingers as well. Heath's sister was almost in tears several times this weekend because she's so happy for us and is already picturing J growing up with the other kiddos. So, all in all - amazing weekend. Probably the best ever. God is good and I cannot believe we've been choosen to love and care for this peanut. Regardless of it all - I'm loving it.

That's about it. I've got other stuff to post about - i.e. how I'm emotionally dealing with all of this, meeting J's mom tomorrow for the first time, and how Satan is really trying to convince me I'm not cut out for this, etc. But, we'll save that for tomorrow. For now, I'm off to bed since sleeping post call is a thing of the past...


Jenn said...

Erin, I am so proud of you.

Molly said...

Love hearing all those details! Know that we are praying for you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Seriously...just let me know. I am not sure where you live, but Sarah could tell me. You need meals? Praying for your meeting.

mak'n Changes said...

You are now a busy mommy! Im thinking the whole feeling inadaquate thing has a lot to do with the lack of sleep you are getting. Your body has to adjust and your brain is probably just exhausted. You are more than capable of doing this!

noahandlylasmommi said...

such a sweet post. I am thinking about fostering and would love any advice you may have.

Julia said...

wow, what a wild couple of days! How awesome, Erin. Tell Satan to suck it, by the way:)

*claire* said...

from reading how dedicated you have been to this for so long now, i have no doubt at all you will be an amazing mother! don't ever doubt yourself!! that adorable baby needs you :)

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

You are J's Angel...and now his mommy! Enjoy it all

Meredith said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow--meeting J's mom tomorrow is going to be tough, but I'm sure that you will handle it all with grace!

Anonymous said...

Love love love all the details. What an amazing journey you and Heath are on! I don't think I can read your blog while I'm at work anymore though...I've cried through the past three entries.

And I think Julia put it just about as eloquently as possible...



Melodie said...

so glad to see an update. i know you are flooded with a ton of emotions right now.
to answer you, yes we go to council road. do you guys? i just met a new couple a few weeks ago at church that adopted a baby boy also. another fam similar to ours. and yes, my sister and her fam go to church with your best friend. that's the connection there.
enjoy this time and you break from work. it will be good for all of you!

Freckles Chick said...

Thrilled. Proud. So deserving. Happiness on earth.

These are just a few of the words raging thru my head this morning as I catch up on your life w/ J. My heart could burst. So happy for you guys, E! I hope the little man's there to stay. =]

Anonymous said...

I am just so so happy for you. As an adopted child myself, I have a special place in my heart for your sweet, sweet story. Satan wants to kill your joy with fear, but don't let him! God has a great big plan for all three of you and I can't wait to see how it will all unravel.

What's the story with J's birth mom?

Lynn said...

I'm not sure if I have ever commented here before but I have been following your story. My heart is so full of joy for you...and my eyes with tears but that is neither here nor there. You and your husband seem so deserving of this wonderful blessing! I recently lost my job and am making some big changes in my life and it is stories like yours that really help me evaluate the things that are most important!! Amen for people like you! I can't wait to see what happens next!